June 29, 2013

June 29, 2013 Day 38  The Hudson River
Donovan’s Shady Harbor Marina
New Baltimore, NY

This morning, Joyce, Gay, and Margi took the courtesy car to do major grocery provisioning.  We had a very successful trip!  We spent the day visiting with other Loopers, reading, and trying to stay cool. 

At 5:00 we had our usual docktails gathering and learned more about the situation on the Erie Canal.  There is damage to two locks from recent flooding and debris is preventing the scow boat to get through to assess the extent of the damage. We also learned there is shoaling in some areas from mud silting.  All of this could mean another delay of one to two weeks.   We are all trying to remain calm and look at our options.  Some of the boaters can go through the Champlain Canal if they can clear the lowest bridge which is usually 17 feet (except the water level is higher there now).  If not they will have to wait for the Erie to open. 

We hope to be able to make a decision this week as to what direction we will take.  We are looking at alternative plans if the Erie does not open soon.   

After docktails we went to the Boathouse Restaurant with Rick & Margi and Mike & Gay and had a good dinner. 

If the weather is good tomorrow and if the river is calmer (there was a strong current today and many trees and logs floated past us)… we will go for a dinghy ride with some of the other Loopers.