October 7, 2013

October 7, 2013  Day 138   (second posting today)
Great Kills Yacht Club
Staten Island, New York

What a wise decision to stay put today!   We were rocking in the harbor with winds gusting to 30 mph and some heavy rain showers!  We were even under a tornado watch until 5pm.  We did not get off the boat.  We were still tired from our long day yesterday.  Bill worked on his new hobby, and began carving his 2nd bird, a curlew this time. 

Joyce did some laundry and took care of some communications and just relaxed.  John Calascibetta, a Gold Looper and member of this yacht club stopped by for a visit.  He was so very helpful and gave us info needed about getting into the city.  We plan to go up to the yacht club tomorrow to look at the pictures of Super Storm Sandy that devastated this club last year.  He described the damage and the extensive restoration that took place.  Their hard work allowed them to reopen this past June!

A look at the NOOA weather show Atlantic Ocean wave heights off the New Jersey coast will be from 3-8 feet on any given day and that will mean we are staying put until probably Sunday. That puts us behind our schedule and we will have to cancel/postpone some reservations, but we need to be safe.

We will use this time to relax, go into New York City, and get some boat chores done.