September 16, 2014

September 12-16, 2014  Days 138-142  Chesapeake Bay
Maryland Yacht Club
Pasadena, MD

The last few days have been a whirlwind and we are behind with the blog.  We returned to the Maryland Yacht club as planned on Friday making the eight hour trip from Cambridge with no problems, although we did have three foot seas for a while on the bow.  We arrived after hours and docked ourselves in our slip which will be our home for the next three weeks.
Blue Angels in formation
The Pride of Baltimore
under full sail

abundant fireworks
Our friends, Donna & Amado arrived early Saturday morning and we took off immediately for the hour long cruise to Baltimore to watch the festivities of the 200th anniversary of the Star Spangled banner. We anchored in the designated area near Anchorage Marina, and although we had rain off and on during the day, we did have a good time. We watched some of the tall ships and we watched the Blue Angels perform in the afternoon.  In the evening we had ring side seats on our boat for the truly spectacular fireworks which were set off from seven different barges.  What an amazing day!  We anchored over night and on Sunday morning and cruised into the Inner Harbor to see more of the tall ships and other boats there for the event.  We saw the Pride of Baltimore, the Lynx, the Sultana, the Kalmar Nyckel and more.  We also saw the Coast Guard’s Eagle and the WWII Liberty Ship, John Brown.  We left the Inner Harbor and cruised back to another anchorage past Ft. McHenry and anchored with many, many boats to watch day two of the Blue Angels, this time under sunny skies!  One of the smaller boats had trouble getting their anchor to hold and the Coast Guard came over to him twice. Bill suggested they tie up to us!  That worked out fine and they appreciated his offer.  The Blue Angels did not disappoint and we were happy to have stayed to see them.  There was a mass exodus at the end with boats racing to the go under the Francis Scott Key Bridge toward the Bay. We were waked constantly! We got back to the Yacht Club around 5:00 and said good bye to Donna and Amado.  We plan to see them again next summer!

On Monday we got a few chores done. Bill had to tighten the shafts that had begun to leak beyond tolerance. Fortunately Jim, one of our boater friends here had the right tool.  Joyce did laundry and ran errands with Peg who has a car here.  We tackled more chores today and are packed for our trip.  We will fly to Colorado tomorrow and spend a few days visiting both of our children and their families – all six grandchildren at once! We are so excited to see them!  After our visit in Colorado we will drive to Salt Lake City and visit Joyce’s aunt who is ninety-seven!  
Donna at the helm!

We may not post again until we return from our trip.