September 13, 2015

September 12, 2015  Day 84 New York Summer 2015
Whitehouse Cove Marina
Poquoson, VA

Sunrise over Fishing Bay
Our last day of our summer cruise was not quite the day we would have planned. We left our anchorage at 0725 still towing the dinghy and Bob’s boat.  Joyce took the helm to get us out of Fishing Bay.  All was calm in there!

When we got back into the Chesapeake Bay, we were faced with challenges all day.  We encountered three to four foot seas at times with rain and wind, and we had to cruise for quite a while under 3 mph which made for a very long day.  We even had to resort to peanut butter crackers for lunch. It was too rough to make sandwiches in the galley.

At one point the tow line got caught on the dinghy brackets so Bob had to go to the swim platform and unhook it. Bill went to the bow to fend off Bob’s boat which had floated up there! All this time we had to make sure no lines were caught in the props.  Later the wind was so bad it tore off our Gold Looper burgee off the bow and the pole it was on with both lost in the bay. We will need to replace them!

We finally got into the Poquoson River and decided we could get into the marina. First, we had to get Bob’s boat rafted to ours again, so we were able to do this fairly easily.  When we got to the marina, the wind had picked up and kept blowing us off the dock. (There was no one there to get our lines.)  Finally Bill got the stern close enough so Bob could jump off the swim platform and catch the spring line Joyce had ready.  By now it was raining heavily!! 

After we got secured, Bob was able to get his boat unrafted to us and drive into his covered slip.  We were all exhausted, looked like drowned rats, and were hungry. So we had some appetizers and then just popped a frozen pizza in the oven for dinner.  Bob and Debbie got their things off the boat and we said goodbye for the evening.  We will see them tomorrow at their Yacht Club’s final summer party.

Such was our nine hour day of cruising on our last trip of the summer!

We will spend several weeks here and probably won’t head south until mid-November.  We are taking a road trip to Pennsylvania this week to attend a large RV show. We have to get the boat to a boat yard to have the broken bowsprit repaired, and that could take a few weeks.  We are going on a cruise in late October. We have all the medical appointments, and visits with family and friends to keep us busy.  Our heads are spinning!!

We will not be updating the blog on a daily basis, so please check back from time to time.