September 2, 2014

August 29-September 2, 2014  Days 124-128  Chesapeake Bay
Port of Salisbury Marina
Salisbury, MD

We got an early start on Friday, leaving Vienna at 0755 under a sunny sky. We had the current with us and made good speed at 9.2 mph for over two hours.  We left the Nanticoke River and entered Tangier Sound at 1030. By 1110 we were entering the Wicomico River, which we would follow for 20 miles to our destination.  It is a pretty river, lined with trees and homes.  We had two cable ferries to watch for and only had to wait for one of them. We also passed one tugboat, but saw very few other boats on the river. 

A pair of eagles watching over us
as we left the Nanticoke River
We arrived in Salisbury and stopped at the fuel dock first. Then we tied up on the bulkhead. After we got settled we had Enterprise pick us up.  We had a few small errands to run and then returned to the boat for a quick dinner.

A beautiful estate home for sale on the Wicomico River.
The horses on the front lawn are statues!

Just had to wait a few minutes for the Upper Ferry
to dock and lower the cable.
On Saturday we stopped at the Ward Museum which houses an excellent collection of carved decoys and shore birds along with other special interest items.  The attendant told us about an arts/craft show in Chincoteague, VA so we decided to make the hour long drive south of here. We stopped for lunch in Chincoteague and then went to the show. It was primarily a show of decoys.  Bill was able to pick up a few bird carving supplies while we were there and we also enjoyed seeing the instructor he had earlier this summer.  After browsing through a few shops we returned to Salisbury and again had dinner on board.

Joyce woke on Sunday morning with a bad case of vertigo which lasted until Monday morning.  She could not even keep food or drink down and was pretty miserable for over 24 hours.  Luckily she was ok on Monday and we ran lots of errands – including a two shopping cart load of groceries at Walmart.  We had dinner on board again and relaxed for the evening.

Today, Tuesday (our planned day of departure) we did return the rental car but decided to spend a couple more days here at the marina. We needed time to get some chores done, and it is much too hot to think about anchoring out!  It is 95 degrees today and here it is September! This is by far the warmest day yet!